We’ve introduced a change to our usual format for the Saturday seminars just for this year, to give focus to the monumental, world changing event that was The Protestant Reformation.
At this year’s North Island conference, Stuart Coulton (Principal of Sydney Missionary Bible College) will present a two-part seminar on “The Road to the Reformation”, exploring the circumstances that led to it, and why was it necessary. This will help us to think about the issues facing the church in our day and the continual need for reformation.
Stuart has kindly agreed to answer a few questions about his seminar.
1. Briefly share with us how you became a Christian.
I was 17 when asked by a mature Christian whether I knew Jesus as my Lord and Saviour. I had no immediate answer to him, but a week later I became a Christian.
2. Why do you think what you’re teaching on is an important topic?
Martin Luther was a hugely influential figure in the history of the Christian Church (and indeed our world). The events surrounding the Reformation help us to understand ourselves better, and to be better equipped to live Christ honouring lives.
3. What do you hope will be filling people’s minds and hearts as they walk away from your seminar?
Wonder at God’s grace; joy in the freedom God’s grace gives us to be holy.
4. Is there any passage of Scripture that sums up what you’ll be sharing?
“For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile. For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faithfrom first to last, just as it is written: ‘The righteous will live by faith.'”
5. How has what you’re going to speak on affected your own life?
Luther spoke about meditation on God’s Word, prayer and an experiential understanding of God and His truth born out of trial, temptation and even affliction – these 3 things make a theologian. It’s a constant challenge for me to make these 3 things constant in my own life.
6. Can you recommend any books, articles, websites, or materials on this topic?
7. What would you say to someone who is trying to decide whether or not to come to STAND conference?
The Conference promises to provide spiritual refreshment and encouragement. Men and women involved in any form of Christian ministry need this. So come!
Join Stuart and others in wondering at God’s grace. For more details and to register for STAND 2017, visit: http://www.standforthegospel.org/conference/stand-2017/.